Dürr is one of the world's leading suppliers of automated systems, services and products for the car making, furniture and the general industry. We achieve round 60% of our sales in the automotive business. We also supply equipment to the woodworking industry (among others furniture industry) , the machinery industry, and to the chemical, pharmaceutical and printing industries. About 40% of our activities are in plant engineering, 60% are in the machinery industry.
Dürr is represented in 28 countries at 86 business locations (thereof 45 with production facilities). The Dürr Group operates in the market with five divisions: Paint and Final Assembly Systems plans and builds paintshops and final assembly systems in particular for the automotive industry. Application Technology provides automated paint application, sealing, and glueing with its robot technologies. Machinery and systems from the Measuring and Process Systems division are used for balancing and transmission manufacturing as well as in final vehicle assembly, among other areas. The fourth division, Clean Technology Systems, specializes in processes to improve energy efficiency and exhaust air purification. Woodworking Machinery and Systems presents woodworking machinery and manufactures systems under the brand name HOMAG. Besides a few global competitors there are some competitors in local markets.
Production depth within the Dürr Group is relatively low. As a result, Dürr can react more flexibly in a economic downturn, and has a smaller business risk than companies with a high production depth. Dürr achieves typically high ROCE margins.
Dürr depends on the long-term capital spending behavior of the industrial customers. Growth rates of around each 3-4% are expected in the automotive industry and in the furniture industry as well. Growth is driven by the emerging markets; with China in the lead. The share of the emerging markets in Dürr's incoming orders of about 40-50% is very high.
At the core of the Group strategy “Dürr 2020” is the “Leading in Production Efficiency” corporate slogan, which embodies the promise to our customers to provide them with innovative technologies and services allowing them to enhance the efficiency of their production processes. The four strategic fields assembled around this corporate slogan aim to flesh out this promise and to ensure that it can be kept on a sustained basis.
- Innovation - maintenance and expansion of technological leadership. Our Group-wide digital strategy, digital@DÜRR, is a key feature that sets us apart from the competition.
- Globalization - global presence and cooperation with a focus on emerging markets and a high level of localization in foreign markets
- Service – Our priority are our customers' needs, combined with our goal to be best-in-class
- Efficiency - continuous improvement of processes and systems
In addition, “Dürr 2020” involves three financial indicator targets:
- Sales are to increase to up to € 5 billion by 2020 (incl. acquisitions).
- The EBIT margin should reach a level between 8-10%.
- ROCE is to stay at the high level of over 30% on a sustained basis.