Dürr Megtec offers an oxidizer structured media care program that can help restore the overall efficiency and effectiveness of regenerative thermal oxidizers (RTOs) and regenerative catalytic oxidizers (RCOs).
Media plugging often happens slowly over many years and can result in higher energy demands of a RTO or RCO's main process fan, unplanned shutdowns, fugitive emissions in the plant, and even reduce VOC destruction efficiency.
Media care often requires cleaning of plugged heat exchange via CO2 ice blasting, wash-out, or bake-out. Selecting the best cleaning method is important and can help to restore, and maintain, your equipment airflow and overall performance, which can lead to energy savings.
Dry ice blasting is best performed on both the media hot face and cold face support. As the frozen CO2 pellets expand and evaporate, it causes particulate lift-off and leaves no residue other than what has been removed by the ice blasting procedure. This is a non-abrasive and non-flammable process.
Wash-out of the media can remove some types of organic build-up. After a wash-out procedure with water or a high volume chemical cleaning solution, the solution must be captured as it exits the unit. Then, the main process fan will run for several hours to remove moisture from the media before re-starting the RTO or RCO.
Bake-out is best performed when organic material is plugging the media. Depending on the RTO design and process, a bake-out cycle program may commence while the unit is on-line or off-line.
- Removes most inorganics
- Restores pressure-drop, often to near new levels
- Restores flow volume, often to near new levels
- Cleans cold-face and support structure
- Reduces gas and electricity consumption
The Dürr Megtec in-house lab and engineering team has the expertise to analyze and evaluate the critical data required to determine the correct media cleaning method and identify potential solutions for reducing future plugging.
- Step 1: Validate the flow reduction and pressure drop change through the media
- Step 2: Review all process constituents to help identify the root cause of media plugging
- Step 3: Take a sample of the substance during the off-line mechanical inspection
- Step 4: Send a sample of the plugging substance to lab for analysis
- Random packing
- Saddles of all sizes
- Multi-layered media
- Plug-resistant media
- Specially structured media
- Alkali-resistant media
- Regenerative catalytic oxidizer (RCO) catalyst testing
- Partial replacement
Full turnkey services
And, to help keep your equipment operating at its best, Dürr Megtec provides additional parts, service, maintenance, refractory, and other quality services and upgrades for oxidizers by most OEMs.